Website Design Help - Adobe GoLive
Starting a new website:
- To start a new website go to New Site
- Select Single User
- Select Blank Site and then name the site
- You can now pick where you want the site to be located on your computer
Start by being organized:
- For example, if you research group in the “Jones” group, organize your site window as shown below
- Index, Definitions page, Acknowledgements page, Teacher’s Corner page
- Next, make folders for the different sections: Jones 5-8, Jones 9-12, Jones Images 5-8, Jones images 9-12. This way you can keep the two levels separate from one another, while at the same time having a specific place to store images.
Text in pages:
- Simply type within the open page
- To link a page to another, highlight the text you want to be the link, and go into the Inspector window. Click on the little circle button and drag the “whip” to a saved file in your site window. This will create a link that GoLive will automatically update if you change the pages.
- For more information go look for LINKS in the index
- Copy pictures from ChemDraw into Paint. Save these pictures in the Smart Objects folder under web data, this way you will be able to access them in GoLive.
- Once the picture is saved, go into GoLive and drag a table from the Basic tool bar into your page. Once you have the correct number of cells in your table (highlight and delete the ones you don’t want), drag the file directly into the cell.
- A box will pop open allowing you to pick some features. Photographs should be saved as .jpeg and pictures (drawn or in paint) should be saved as .gif. Click the Save button when you are done. This will allow you to pick where you save the picture and what you name it. A little bucket with paint brushes should appear in the corner of the picture in the layout tab of your page if it is saved as a Smart Object.
- To change the picture, double click on the file in GoLive, make the changes, and then click save. GoLive will automatically update your pictures.
- Pictures created in Paint follow the same directions.
- For more information on pictures and tables look for TABLES and IMAGES in the index
Creating Image Maps:
- Image maps are used to create an area on a picture where a trigger action causes something to happen. To use an image map, highlight the image you want to use. In the Inspector window, click on more, select map option.
- Go to the regular toolbar and click either the circle, rectangle, or polygon to define your area. You can do this by clicking and dragging on the desired spot in your site page.
- In the map inspector area specify a file for the link destination of the hotspot.
- For more info look for IMAGE MAPS in the index
Creating a Template:
- Drag the table icon from the Basic Toolbar onto a new page. This will allow you to organize your information the way you want.
- Resize the table cells by highlighting the cell of interest and then clicking on the Inspector Cell tab. There are spots for height and width there, and you can resize them by entering a numerical value for %.
- After you have resized the cells you can put your material into the cells by cutting or pasting, or doing just as you would in a normal page.
- Then bring up the Template Regions box from the Windows tab on the top toolbar. This will allow you to highlight cells and create editable regions by clicking the little folding page at the bottom of the Template Regions box.
- Rename the editable regions. You can do this by clicking on the name and then typing in a new one.
- Then, in the layout editor of your page go to save>save as in the document window. Save as a template, the option will be in the window under the one you type the document name in.
- Then drag the new template from the files tab to the extras tab under the templates folder in your site window.
- Next time you start a new page you can click special and it will allow you to open the page with the template of your choice. The editable regions you selected will be allowed to be changed and the others will remain the same.
- For more info look up PAGE TEMPLATES in the index
Changing the color of links live, active, and visited:
- In the layout portion of the page click on page properties. Open the inspector. You will see the link information with a color next to it. Left click on the color and it will allow you to change it by picking from a large amount of them. Check the box next to the link and save the page.
Photos and jpegs as smart objects:
- Drag a box into the page from the basic toolbar.
- Go to the smart objects tool bar and drag a smart photoshop icon into the box. Now click on the smart photoshop icon and open up the inspector.
- The inspector will allow you to link the icon to the saved photo file in your site window. The file needs to be on saved with your website pages on the left side of the divider in order to be seen on the page.
Installing a movie:
- Drag table into page to put multimedia plug-in in.
- From the basic toolbar select a plug-in object (quick time)
- Click on the plug-in object and open the inspector
- Enter values for the size of the movie in the width and height boxes
- Chose an alignment position from the alignment pop up menu
- From HTML menu chose the tags that browsers will need to detect the object
- Make sure the movie is saved on the left side of your site window, or you will not be able to view it on computers other than your own.